[goodfeel] Re: FAQ Entries on Annotations in Lime and Especially Lyric Annotations [was: deleting an incorrect lyric: FAQ]

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <goodfeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 10:19:53 -0400

Hi, Brandon,

As you know, a lyric is one example of what Lime calls "Annotations".  See
the FAQ entries below regarding annotations.

In general, I find entering lyrics into Lime fairly easy.  But be prepared.
Know your lyrics and know where you want your lyrics to go.  Anticipate
where a syllable is tied over one or more notes.  Try to be aware of page
boundaries.

The current version of Lime Aloud under Windows7 is just too chatty in
general when entering lyrics.  We need to address that.

GOODFEEL has a persistent bug related to lyrics.  Sometimes, in a short
song, GOODFEEL will fail to show the final line or two of lyrics.  They are
in your Lime file but GOODFEEL drops them.  In that case, you may have to
enter them into the .gf file using BrailleView or Notepad, etc.  Again,
something we need to fix.

Q.  How do I move to an annotation?

A.  Press ALT+LEFT ARROW to move to previous annotations and ALT+RIGHT ARROW
to move to next annotations.

Q.  How do I edit an annotation?

A.  Once you have moved to it, press enter.  Lime opens a standard edit
field with the cursor positioned at the end of the text of the annotation.
When finished, press ESCAPE.  DO NOT PRESS ENTER.  If you do, Lime simply
moves you to a new line in the edit field.

Q.  How do I delete an annotation?

A.  Once you have moved to it, press the DELETE key.

Q.  What is the quickest way to enter multiple lyrics?

A.  Move to the note to be associated with the first lyric syllable.

ALT+A, T, Y

Or

Annotation | Text Category | Lyric

Type the syllable.

Where appropriate, Complete the lyric with a dash or underline character.
See GOODFEEL's Help file for rules on entering ending dash and underline.

Press the TAB key.  Lime moves focus to the next note in the current part
and plays it for you.  Lime Aloud announces the new bar and beat value.
When you do not hear a new bar and beat value spoken, you have reached the
end of the current page of music.  See notes below on procedure to follow in
that case.  Otherwise, Lime automatically places you in a new lyric
annotation.

Type the syllable.  Where appropriate, complete the lyric with a dash or
underline character.

Press the TAB key.

Repeat process until you are finished.  Press ESCAPE to save the current
lyric annotation and return to Lime's main window.

Things to remember:

* Lime is page-oriented.  You can only enter lyrics for the current page.
That is, sooner or later you will press TAB and Lime will indicate that you
have reached the end of the page.  You have to be alert to notice that when
Lime does not announce a new bar and beat, you have reached a page boundary.

Press CONTROL+RIGHT BRACKET to move to next page.  To begin entering lyrics
on the new page, re-initiate the process above.

If you mistakenly entered multiple lyrics on the last note of the page, you
will need to delete the unwanted lyric annotations.

.          Beware of tied notes.  If you enter a syllable on a note that has
a tie on it, be sure to tab past all following notes tied to the current
note before entering the next syllable.

See GOODFEEL's Help file for more on formatting lyrics.

Also see our support page at:

http://www.dancingdots.com/tsgf3/limealoudannotations.htm

Bill McCann
www.DancingDots.com