[gnulab-mesce] Re: [MES-FSF] Re: Draft notice of gnus grazing-

  • From: "ശ്യാം കാരനാട്ട് | shyam karanattu" <aeshyamae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mes-fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "GNU Lab @ MESCE" <gnulab-mesce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:23:46 +0530

> Instead of arguing for wiping out dos in machines it would be better to
> get 'permission' to work in freedos in at least 5 machines. Help fellow
> students to use freedos. let that become a popular demand. Freedom

Mahesh,The above thing can be a significant change in strategy. See in my
case, I said them I cannot use these software and the syllabus is not
specifying that. What we want is to use free software in our academics. So i
think we can stick on to that and say that I value my freedom and can only
use Free Software instead of being much aggressive and saying "throw out all
the windows"(which obviously  may hurt their feelings or whatever... its a
fact that this is what they have been using and studying all these years..)
. Because in that case, the people involved are not essentially you alone
and majority (teachers and students!) is not ready for a change!! While its
better to say your case. As we want to have freedom,We will use free
software, and then as the next step, we can say "See, I could complete my
paper in free software and why cant the others be allowed to have a better
life in freedom?"  Then they will consider taking a look into it!
other than that,obviously a mass migration is only possible with all staffs
understanding the need for Free Software. But this minimal way to request a
change for ourselves, will not be that resisting from the department.Because
we have a valid reason, with the university not recommending any software
we  have the right to refuse to study proprietary software and to leave in
freedom and Refusing that request is no more valid and thats no more an
issue of personal likes and dislikes.
That would be a better try for change,to show them ourselves changed and
then demanding other's change describing the advantages.

I have to write it like, "I am taking the responsibility of installing this
software in lab,and i will not raise any complains against the dept,in case
anything goes wrong during examination." to get the permission and thats
fairly normal. But i think as a first step,we will have to move through
that.

In this case the technical difference between masm,nasm or tasm is not
relevant.Because all three can cover the specified syllabus. And initially
as it will only affect ourselves, it will be our business to study it and
make it ready.

Attached is a nasm code for file operations,as you asked last eve.

Cant we try that way?
Best wishes.

Now there is another issue. There are softwares which are written in the
university syllabus
Specifically matlab  for AEI,EEE,and ECE (donno cse  and IT have that..)
AFAIK everything for academics can also be done in well established free
software alternative   GNU octave.

But any scope in making the departments change or allowing us to change?
there the position is different,we are saying that we cant study the thing
in university syllabus.
Issues like this have already being address in the syllabus review campaign
as you can see here fci.wikia.com/wiki/Syllabus_Review
Anyway IMHO, this,i.e. the educational sector is the first area to be
changed,if we want to see the world Free.
Thats quiet evident with kerala as an example. Now computer vendors are
having a look at GNU as the customer demand also increased, as new people
buying a computer also want the software his son/daughter studies to be
installed in that.

So let us try our best for that.