[gmpi] Re: low level API

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 08:12:45 +1300

> I know nothing of it. Can you either describe what that means, or point me to some public docs that aren't entangled with Windows-ness?

The guts of a COM interface is pretty basic. Plugin exposes An array of function pointers.
These can be treated as plain old C functions, but also, the array can be treated as a C++ Virtual Function Table. If your plugin is written in C++, you directly expose your actual V-Table. So the host is calling directly into your C++ code, no intermediate layer, very efficient, yet simultaneously plain-C compatible.

Jeff

Tim Hockin wrote:
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 07:36:23AM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:

Shall we tentativly pencil in COM as a binary interface?

I know nothing of it. Can you either describe what that means, or point me to some public docs that aren't entangled with Windows-ness?

...subject of course to public approval etc. If there are any other proposals, feel free to present them.