[gmpi] [koen@smartelectronix.com: Re: Re: Instruments done, moving on to "Plugin Files"]

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:59:00 -0700

Koen is having list mail issues..

----- Forwarded message from Koen Tanghe <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -----

From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [gmpi] Re: Instruments done, moving on to "Plugin Files"
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:53:30 +0200

On Tuesday, August 24, 2004 9:24 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Tim Hockin <xxxthockin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Time for Plugin Files:
> http://www.gmpi-plugins.org/gmpi/requirements.php#sec_3.17
>
> Comments on 3.17?

Req 82:   Plugin binaries must be dynamically loadable in their host
environments. This is a platform specific definition, and the GMPI
specification must define the formats for supported operating systems.

Req 83:   Each plugin binary must be capable of containing more than one
plugin.

Req 84:   Plugin files must be bundled into a single file on the filesystem.

--> This sounds a bit strange: bundling multiple files into a single file?
What does it mean? 82 and 83 already state that a single plugin binary may
contain multiple plugins, right?

Req 87:   Enumerating plugins is done by scanning 1 or more directories for
GMPI plugin files. If the plugin file includes metadata, the metadata
defines the plugin(s) contained in the plugin file. If the plugin file does
not include metadata, the plugin must be probed.

--> Do we need requirements on what should be the minimal information in
this meta-data (I/O configuration, vendor, ...)? Or do we keep that for spec
time?

All the rest seems fine for me!

Koen

----- End forwarded message -----