[gmpi] Re: Topic 3: Cross Platform

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:46:59 -0700

Lets please not use byte streams to communicate with plugins. The whole point of have a header with struct definitions is to avoid endless, complicated, byte parsing. Since we can assume that the host and plugin have access to the same header and can agree on the physicial description of the struct, lets use it.

David Olofson wrote:

On Thursday 06 March 2003 17.58, Silver Blade wrote:
[...MIDI style byte streams...]

I think this idea is OK, although MIDI has many limitations, such
as the inability to read a controller's value (set only, not get.)

I don't think the point was MIDI, but rather using byte streams. What goes on between Xlib and the X server on Un*x systems would be another example of such a protocol.

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems