[gmpi] Re: Summary 8.2: Parameters and saving/restoring state

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:44:23 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Poirier" <fipnid@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 6:55 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Summary 8.2: Parameters and saving/restoring state

> This sounds like a good summary to me.  I would only add that I think that
> plugin version should be a mandatory piece of
> stata/datom/datical/whatever.

well, in fact when storing a context , we can need 3 informations at least
- plug-in name
- GUID plug
- version

- the plug-in name in the STATA or CONTEXT or whatever the name, allows the
host to say "this datas are for the - plugname - plug-in" even if this
plug-in is not/nomore installed on the system.
- the GUID plug is a uniq identifier (for example microsoft one) allowing
the host to never confused about what STATA for which PLUG-IN.
- the version also can help the host to check the integrity of the system.

finnally i'm agree with the idea of a mandatory header , because i know that
there is often redondancy on this subject, the plug-in programmer includes
often a header before datas, the host also , and if the host was a plug-in
again, you can save finally "n" similar headers with nearly the same
information in...

So let's think about important information that could be part of a mandatory
header like also
- nb input
- nb output
- samplerate

these 3 other parameters allows the host to use the STATA as preset and then
use them from a project to a different other project. For example if the
host store the STATA of the plug-in as a preset (inserted in stereo 44.1hz)
and use this preset in an other hinstance of a plug-in but in a different
configuration (e.g. master 5:1 48Khz)... the plug-in needs to know where
come from the STATA to adjust, wrap, and match these STATA to the current
configuration of the effect.

it is typically that i do with my plug-in , i'm finnally obliged to insert a
header before the context of my effect to be sure that the datas given by
the host are always making sens... And finally i think that this information
can also be intersting by the host, at least to prevent the user with
further information (e.g. Warning this preset has been made in stereo !
check the other channels in 5:1 ).

Regards
Vincent Burel