[gmpi] Re: Requirement 3 - API and SDK Language

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <angus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:42:59 +0000

Ron Kuper wrote:

The GMPI SDK is bound to be pretty big.  We're going to be providing:

- Services for threading, memory, I/O, event queueing
- Wrappers for VST, DX, AU
- Sample plugin code of all flavors: audio fx, synths, MIDI processors
- Sample host code

Are we saying that all of the above must have a C version as well as a
C++ version? Or is it sufficient to have some bits in C, others in C++?

VST, DX and AU only exist on platforms with good C++ compilers, and, I would imagine, the wrapping will interface using the GMPI API itself.. as such, they only need to be C++.

What are the requirements for threading, memory, I/O and event queueing? Is a C API going to be OK for C++ people here?

Sample plugin and host code should exist in both C and C++, though whether every example has to exist in both is less clear.

Regards,
      Angus.