[gmpi] Re: (Req 5) Re: Reqs Discuss: 1-11

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:18:05 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Tim Hockin wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 07:26:06AM -0500, Angus F. Hewlett wrote:
> > I'm not entirely happy with Requirement #5. Does this need to be on the
> > host side or could it be provided as an accessory lib that plugins can use
> > if they wish?

> It needs to be provided by the host.

Why so? Are we shooting for binary portability here? Seems to me that the
vast majority of this stuff (excepting realtime memory allocation) need
not -necesssarily- be provided by the host.

Putting this in the host<->plugin API:-

FOR:
- enhances binary portability for some simpler plugins, see Paul's
comments about platform inertia
- provides the possibility for centralised management of certain resources
(file handles? memory? preferences? threads? debug/trace console?) by the
host, which may aid in, for example, recovering the host when unloading a
failed plugin.

AGAINST:
- complicates the API significantly
- may be hard to agree on what exactly to provide
- won't help every plugin anyway

Thoughts?