[gmpi] Re: MIDI: Proposed Reqs (try #3)

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:00:18 -0600

Tim Hockin wrote:

I'm working an another draft, and I *really* need you and others to read
it, and feedback.  I'll try to make it right, this time.

As promised.  Please PLEASE feedback.  Please let's wrap this up.

* It must be possible for hosts to control plugins from arbitrary external
  MIDI sources, such as hardware MIDI controllers or other MIDI software.
  This includes (but is not limited to) playing notes, setting parameters,
  host-based MIDI learn (click-and-wiggle) and system exclusive (SysEx)
  messages.

I had suggested alternate language for this which Chris had accepted (modified a bit to match your phrasing):

Hosts are not required to support any external control protocol, including MIDI. However, it must be possible to write a host in which users can control plugins from arbitrary external MIDI sources, such as hardware MIDI controllers or other MIDI software. This includes (but is not limited to) playing notes, setting parameters, host-based MIDI learn (click-and-wiggle) and system exclusive (SysEx) messages.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems