[gmpi] Re: GMPI reqs draft 1 (part 2) for review

  • From: Jeff McClintock <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:03:29 +1300

Small note on 4.10: Ramped or Smoothed Events
 "In fact, these audio-rate events can eliminate the
 need for ramps altogether."

    It might be worth noting that audio rate controls - actual
    or this bybrid kind - add hidden costs (downsampling) when
    plugins morph internal coefficients to avoid doing the full
    control value to coefficients transform for each sample.

Hi,
Well, downsampling can be as simple as using, say every 8th sample and discarding the remainder. Not a huge overhead.

My synths have the opposite problem, how to convert discrete parameter updates into a smooth, zipper-noise-free signal.
Anytime I receive a parameter update, I ramp smoothly to the new value. Trouble is, I don't know what rate the host will send updates. the result is far from ideal...

http://www.synthedit.com/stepped.gif

I figure this is analogous to upsampling a signal without knowing the sample rate, it's simply not possible to do so perfectly. There is not enough information. The entire concept of sending parameter changes as discrete events is flawed. UNLESS:
-The host could indicate the rate at which parameter changes occur
-or the host included more info with each parameter change, i.e. a rate at which to ramp toward the new value.

Including this extra information would allow much better recontruction of the intended (smooth) parameter signal.

Best Regards,
Jeff