[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (goals)

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:58:32 -0700

Steve said:

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 01:06:54 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
 On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 09:54:48PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
 > Whether blobs always need to be undoable seems pretty debatable.
 > It's one thing for a host to say it will not load plugs that do not
 > support total undo, it's another thing to say all hosts and all plugs
 > must implement total undo.

 What things need to be undoable?  Every event?  No.  Only user actions.
 I'd say that excluding blobs is probably legit.  Or we could flag blob
 parameters as UNDOABLE.  Then the host can know whether or not to try.

Yep, agreed. Non-undoable blobs are non-undoable for a reason, and we shouldn't try, but some blobs are just wrapping complex parameter types, and can be undone perfectly well. My only concern is how we express the difference without it being too confusing.

There are two forks of 'always' here.

On the first fork, you have a good point, some blobs may be undoable, others not. Only the plug author knows which is which. You could distinguish the two by asking plug developers to provide separate input parameters for the undoable vs. non-undoable ones, and staple known metadata to one type (or the other, or both, doesn't matter), e.g. kParameterNotUndoable.

The other fork is whether all host styles need undo, or whether some do not. I assert some do not, and repeat the proposal that plugs identify themselves as 'Total Undo Capable' or not. Then plugs that are not are allowed in the GMPI universe, and they can do whatever they want, including talk MIDI if that's what they in their judgement choose to do, and hosts that demand total undo can easily exclude those plugs. Everybody happy.

-- Chris G.