[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (goals)

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:39:48 -0700

Steve said:

Chris said:
 5 - MIDI OUT - Composers may sometimes want to echo a plug's final
 pitches/notes, parameter values, etc. to a MIDI device (Kyma follows
 GMPI plug, etc.).  Plugs OPTIONALLY supporting this functionality
 will need MIDI Out ports.  Integer key number truncation/rounding may
 not always be acceptable; there should be investigation into the
 OPTIONAL use of MIDI pitchbend messages (both 3-byte msg 0xEn and
 Pitch Band Depth) for pitches between keys.  A GMPI-provided library
 should be OPTIONALLY available to promote consistent
 GMPI-parameter-to-MIDI transcoding.

I think the trascoding library is a seperate issue and I'm not sure it makes sense for GMPI to provide it. I'm guessing these MIDI outs wouldn't (normally) be routed to other plugins? The idea is to send them outside the GMPI graph, right?

Could be either, see e.g. chaining MIDI processing plug-ins.

-- Chris G.