[gmpi] Re: 3.11 partial wrap: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: "Jack O'Quin" <joq@xxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 20 Apr 2004 14:14:59 -0500

Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:41:34PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > >I don't get what you're trying to say...
> >
> > The DSP part of the plugin must be able to inspect its parameters and
> > all changes for a parameter scheduled to occur during a given
> > process() cycle. This inspection must be possible at the start of the
> > process() cycle, and must not be necessary again until the end of the
> > next process() cycle. Changes the value of a parameter other than
> > those already queued via automation may not take place during the
> > process() cycle.
>
> Req 23:    All events bound for a plugin during a timeslice must be
> enqueued before that plugin is activated to process that timeslice. Events
> must never delivered while a plugin is processing.
>

> does that cover it?

Almost.

I was trying to state a slightly stronger constraint.  Instead of
making a statement about a single plugin, I wanted to make a blanket
statement about the whole processing cycle.

Perhaps your narrower statement is adequate and therefore captures the
fundamental requirement.

I was worried about possible hidden linkages between plugins or
between multiple instances of the same plugin.  Perhaps this should be
explicitly disallowed.  If not, then any changes within a single
timeslice could easily become non-deterministic, especially if the
graph aggressively takes advantage of multiprocessor hardware.
--
  joq