[gmpi] Re: 3.11 partial wrap: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:30:29 -0700

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 04:14:24PM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > > I was worried about possible hidden linkages between plugins or
> > > between multiple instances of the same plugin.  Perhaps this should be
> > > explicitly disallowed.  If not, then any changes within a single
> > > timeslice could easily become non-deterministic, especially if the
> > > graph aggressively takes advantage of multiprocessor hardware.
> >
> > Inter-plugin and inter-instance linkages MUST be reflected in the graph to
> > function properly.  I think that's obvious, but do we want to actually state
> > it?
>
> Now I'm not sure what you're saying.

Any linkage between two nodes of the graph needs to be either audio IO or
control IO.  If you use things like class-static variables that are shared
among instances, then your plugin MIGHT break.

The finest unit of granularity that GMPI supports is a plugin instance.
All events for a plugin instance are delivered BEFORE that instance is
called for process().  No event will be delivered to a plugin for a
timeslice after that plugin has begun processing that slice.

Think of it as a directed dependency graph.  Anything that sends an event
to FOO must be run and completed before FOO is run.