[ggo-discussion] usability: players

  • From: mAsterdam <masterdam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 17:53:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Peter:

--- Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx> replied:

> Swing tables don't support a two-state column ...
> Currently you can left/right click to get
> ascending/descending view. I of course could implement a flag and
> toggle that to get the same effect with left/left click, but I
> thought left/right click should be sufficient.

Nay. Don't bother. If it is standard enough it will be the standard
behavior in a later Swing (or yet another Sun-JavaGUI library
replacing Swing).

> >3. Refresh causes you to lose 'where you were' completely.
> >Maybe it could preserve the percentage part of the list?
> >Most of the time it will show just about the same players
> > - which is what the user was
> >looking for when he pressed 'Refresh'.

> Unsure if that is possible. These Java Swing tables are not so
> great. One would need to remember the position of the scrollbar
> and force to scroll it back to that relative position again.
> I've no idea if that works.
> I personally keep my table at +/- 2 stones range if I want to
> play,

There are three level groups one might be interested in:
People I learn from, teachers
People I want to play, peers
People I may teach, lowest pupils

Not that you should build an interface on that.
It is just something that came up thinking about the
possible user expectations.

> And when I am not so interested in the player list anyways,
> I let the
> automatic updates do the refreshes.

Which _does_ preserve the place in the list.
?!
This means that you already know how to do that,
but you just don't know that you know ?

> Once a minute is frequent
> enough, I guess.

Yep. It is definitely not a big thing.

> >4. It would be __very__ nice if I could add a little (client
> > side persistent) comment to players, not only 'friends'
> > state.
>
> Jarkko had suggested a very powerful player database, similar to
> the one in his own client (Ambassador). If I do this, I do it
> right, and not only a simple comment line.

The friend / ignore thingy makes the experience personal,
gives the whole a real networking (of people, not computers)
taste. As far as I can tell Jago started it, CGoban followed suit.

A simple comment (ok maybe just a little more) would build on that.

I like inchpebbles, not milestones. A powerful database
would be overkill, changing the character. Just a comment line
would be a small extension along the right line.

> However, this is not on the top priority
> TODO list.

Ok. Pity though. As you can probably tell this is one item
I really think has a huge impact/lines of code ratio
(unlike the powerful database idea).

Another 2 Eurocents,

regards,
                      mAsterdam