[ggo-discussion] Re: gGo through proxy server

  • From: Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:57:06 +0100

* Peter Strempel wrote on Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 09:54 +0100:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:34:34PM +0000, Kevin wrote:
>=20
> > Can anyone tell me how to connect IGS server through a proxy.
> > Thanks.

> On Linux sshtunnel is a nifty solution to bypass a proxy or
> firewall, but that requires that the proxy box runs on Linux
> with sshd enabled and you have an account on it.

That means, the IGS protocol is a relayable TCP stream
connection? In that case, I would assume you could tunnel it also
with sstunnel or even the built-in SSH portforwardning feature or
a port forwarder (like ipchains, rinetd or others). However, that
are transparent TCP relays, I wouldn't call it proxies.

> About Windows or hardware proxies I have absolutely no idea, as
> I don't run such a thing at home and all the networks I use
> (work, university) run Unix proxies.

Free SSH clients are available for windows, IIRC some (putty)
support port forwarding. On the other hand, there is cygwin which
comes with full featured SSH (for free) that should work also.
Such solutions help bypassing a firewall that has any open port
as long as you have some access to a server behind the firewall.
It also can be used with a (transparent) TCP relay "proxy" like
one from the firewall toolkit, for instance. However, a
restricted firewall should not offer such functionalities I
guess.

If the firewall has no open ports and you don't have a box behind,
it's getting difficult I guess. If you don't have access to the
firewall and its offering a non-transparent proxy (like SOCKS?),
you'd need another local client. AFAIK (and that is not much) you
could use SOCKS also like a transparent port forwarder by having
a local SOCKS client; in that case, you would connect a local
port, the client forwards this to the proxy where a second
connection is established. After all, this again gives a
transparent TCP relay togehter.

However, in many firewall setups I saw such possibilities are
restricted because of their power and often only HTTP or similar
protocols are allowed and their contents is somewhat checked. In
that case, the connection cannot be established transparently
with ease, so you need either two gateway tools (a client
encapsulating to HTTP, IIRC fraqrouter is able to do such things
and a second one that does the opposite) or to make your go client
and the go server speak HTTP - seems both are complex tasks.
However, that is what firewalls are for: to block such attempts.

Just some very general points I got in mind which may be
completely wrong.

oki,

Steffen

--=20
es tr=E4gt daher weder Unterschrift noch Siegel.