[ggo-discussion] Re: gGo through proxy server

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:54:53 +0100

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:34:34PM +0000, Kevin wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to connect IGS server through a proxy. Thanks.

Cheers,

that would very much depend on which proxy you are using, and if it's a
hardware or software proxy.

On Linux sshtunnel is a nifty solution to bypass a proxy or firewall, but
that requires that the proxy box runs on Linux with sshd enabled and you
have an account on it. I got through university firewall with this trick,
works for both gGo/IGS and CGoban2/KGS.

About Windows or hardware proxies I have absolutely no idea, as I don't run
such a thing at home and all the networks I use (work, university) run Unix
proxies.

I found some hints about how to connect WinIGC to IGS via a proxy here:
http://217.167.188.233/Personal/prettyrose/weblog/blogger.html
(very long page, search for "proxy").
It should apply for gGo, too, as the client does nothing more than defining
a target host and port, which gGo doesn't handle any different than other
clients. Basically, if you can telnet to IGS, then any client will connect
as well.

In most cases proxy solutions depend on the proxy, not on the client, so
it's difficult to give you meaningful hints without knowing which proxy you
are using. And then it depends if anyone knows a solution for exactly the
software or hardware you have. :)

Otherwise make sure you don't block yourself with a firewall, WinXP has one
built-in (but it's by default disabled as far as I know).

 Peter