[ggo-discussion] Re: 'Guess Score' crashes/freezes gGo.

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 00:17:27 +0100

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:37:43PM -0000, Michael Camacho wrote:

> I tried the 'Guess Score' function, which I had never used before, to see
> what would happen.
> gGo stopped working! : P
>
> No errors in the log, though. This is all it said:
>
> Executing: f:\program files\gnugo.exe --score estimate -L 189 --quiet -l
> D:\DOCUME~1\MICHAE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ggo31689.sgf

Cheers,

Stuart had already pointed me to the reason of this behaviour. I fixed it
meanwhile. I wanted to release 0.3.2 today, but a translation update gets
delayed. I will update the previews then.

Reason was, gGo did not start GNU Go as own thread, but only as process it
waited on to finish before continuing. So if GNU Go does not return a result
(why this happens I just learned about, a guy from the GNU Go team explained
me right now), gGo keeps waiting forever. This was pretty bad. I put the
whole score thing in an own thread now, so gGo will call GNU Go and continue
running. Try again in the new preview (will upload that later).

 Peter