[ggo-discussion] Re: Resuming adjourned games

  • From: Peter Strempel <zotan@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 16:39:21 +0100

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 07:02:47PM +0000, Kent-Crow Lottis wrote:

> What is the proper procedure for adjourning and resuming games when the
> connection drops?
>
> It appears as though the 'Reload' button is supposed to handle this, but I
> can seem to get this to work properly.
> The game appears to resume, but the players are no longer in sync. Typically
> the wrong player is given the turn (or, equivalently, the last move is
> lost). In any case, time keeps running while my opponnent and I try to
> resolve the problem.
>
> Have I run into a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Hello,

there are three ways to load an adjourned game, which basically all do the
same action on IGS: trigger "load <gamename>"

a) Open your playerinfo window, in the second tab you find a list of stored
games. Right-click on that will open a popup menu which includes a "Load"
menuitem. This will send "load <name of the game in that line>" to IGS.

b) If the board window is still open, and the game has been adjourned, one
of the sidebar buttons changes into "Load". This is useful if the opponent
just lost connection, then you have a quick access to reloading the game.
Hitting that button will send "load <whitename>-<blackname>" to IGS.

c) You can simply type "load <gamename>" in the terminal window manually.

All three actions actually just result in the same command sent to the
server, (a) and (b) are just wrapping the command into some GUI interface.

If any of the above actions fail, the terminal window should tell you why.
Opponent not online? Opponent not open for matches? etc. The client can only
send "load", if it really happens is up to the server to decide.

Please note, the "Reload" menuitem in own/observed games (menu Edit) is
something very different. It sends "refresh" and "status" while a game is
ongoing, to force the client to reread the game position at the last move
from the server and repaint the board. This of course only works when a game
is in process.

You write the game is out of synch. This might be a possible bug, although I
have used the reload feature a couple of times in own games lately and it
seemed to work well. Nevertheless, I will give it some testing and check if
it works properly.
In case you stumble about that again, please send me the logfile
($HOME/.ggo.log) when it occured. Note that the log is overwritten when gGo
starts, so copy it in time (don't want to spam peoples harddrives with
logs). This might help me to identify a possible problem.

Basically, an out-of-synch can only appear if you reload the game in an
existing window, theoretically never when you get a new board window. If
that also gives an out-of-synch, it's a serious bug. But from my testing I
dare to say it works. However, I am not 100% sure about the
reload-in-existing-window now and will test that.

 Peter