[ggo-discussion] Re: A few newbee questions

  • From: Peter Strempel <pstrempel@xxxxxx>
  • To: ggo-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:15:38 +0200

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:01:38AM +0200, Steffen Dettmer wrote:

> mmm... What's KDE? (just kidding)

Windows for Linux. :*)

> When starting, I get a screen full of:
> Failed to convert string to integer: java.lang.NumberFormatException: null

gGo will save its configuration automatically to a config file $HOME/.ggorc
For whatever reason you already got such a file and it is messed. As result,
when gGo starts up it will read crap, print all these warnings you
mentioned, and use its built-in default configuration.

Solution: rm ~/.ggorc
Restart gGo

You should then see a line "Cannot find .ggorc" or similar which is ok, you
just deleted it. Once you change some option (just open the preferences
dialog and close it with "Ok"), gGo will save a new .ggorc file, which
should be valid. You can have a look at the file, it is plain text.

You don't need to edit .ggorc manually or create it yourself, gGo takes care
of it. However, if the file is corruped, things go wrong and you should
delete the file.

> yep, this should help, I'll try it out when I'll find some time!

I would be interested in some feedback how glGo builds. The requirements are
pretty tough, I used several libraries, mostly SDL stuff. All required libs
and headers are in my Debian distribution, but I dont know if Suse 7.3 has
them all. The README file has a chapter about compiling, list what you need.
The very latest configure script (I am committing it into the sourceforge
CVS right now) has some additional checks if the required headers are
present.

> Thank you. BTW, autoconf/automake (especially autoconf) is always
> a mess, isn't it :) ? But still the best tool out there I think...

autoMAKE is actually not bad, but I regulary get the creeps when I need to
write some m4 macros for autoCONF. M4 looks slightly old. :)

 Peter