[ggcsquicksig] Re: help turning off firewall and antivirus

  • From: Mozart Beethoven <symphony313@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 19:27:50 -0800

Hi John,

I thought I read in the prelude to Malwarebytes that it was necessary to
temporarily disable both the firewall and antivirus. It gave me the quivers.

In the meantime, while fishing around for information to help myself, I ran
across "Windows malicious software removal tool". It did not require any
"turn-offs", which settled my nerves, and I began the use of the tool after
midnight last night. I was amazed to find it made little progress by morning
and ran for a few more hours.

More amazing, was that it found no infected files. Given that my computer's
performance runs at a consistent 3.5, I could just stare at the screen at
disbelief. Then, I thanked my lucky stars.

I appreciate your help, John.

Cheers,

Elizabeth

From: jmk94903@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ggcsquicksig] Re: help turning off firewall and antivirus
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 16:03:00 -0800

Hi Elizabeth,
It's not necessary to turn the firewall off to run Malwarebytes.  It's
completely compatible with the Windows firewall, and you are safer keeping it
up.
You don't need to turn Avast off either to run Malwarebytes in my experience.
John King

From: symphony313@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 11:36:56 -0800

Babette,
I want to run malwarebytes and know where to turn off the firewall. But it
scares me when I then get a message asking if i want to make changes to the
computer. I just want to turn it off temporarily so I can run the malware.

Also, I have avast antivirus and don't know how to turn it off temporarily. Can
you send a recipe of steps, please?

Many thanks!

Elizabeth

To: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:59:02 -0800
Subject: [ggcsquicksig] Re: duplicate account
From: bcbloch@xxxxxxxx

Irma...that General Account Preference has to do with whether you want all
downloaded transactions immediately dumped into your register at one time when
they are received at a download.

Especially in the case of Credit Card downloads, which can have a LOT of
individual transactions, I find it better to use Never Automatically.  The
downloaded transactions then show in a separate panel below the register, and
you can accept them one at a time.

For me, this makes it easier to make sure categories are correct or edit
them and to check for duplicates.

However, some people must prefer to have them all added automatically, or
the option wouldn't be there.

Re the account's being grayed out, what do you mean by "On the General
Screen"?   Is that the list in the Account Bar, the account as it
appears on the Account List or the whole register if you click on the account
open it?

bb

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:32:31 -0800 "Irma " <irmbo@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  I have deactivated the new
  account.

  However, for the old account
  when I click on Online Services it appears to already be activated--there is
  button that says "deactivate".  Yet on the general screen the account
  number, etc. is grayed out.  In the Online Setup screen there is a button
  that says:  Automatic entry is: Off.  When I clicked on this I saw
  that the category which is checked is:  Use the general account
  preference that applies to all banking account.
  The other two options are:

  Yes,
  always automatically add transactions for this account, and No, never
  automatically add transactions  Should I click Yes?

  Thank you very much for guiding
  me through this.

  Irma