[ggcsquicksig] Re: financial security question

  • From: bcbloch@xxxxxxxx
  • To: ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 13:00:08 -0800

Irma...as Mike says, all major browsers have a security setting to delete
all cookies.  However,cookies themselves are not too dangerous...all they
do is tell the bank that this is a personal computer, not public, and
then it won't ask you the special security questions you give them when
you first sign up for on line banking.  If the cookie is there, you are
taken to the sign on page(s) and still have to give your sign on name
user ID) and password.

However, Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, and probably other
browsers,  also have settings that allow you to save log on data.  If the
computer's owner has that set to remember, the browser will save your
sign on name and password, and insert it for you.  This is supposed to be
encrypted, but I never use it, because I don't like the idea of my
security data on a hard disk in the browser..

I'm not sure how you delete this saved information, but there must be a
way.

Incidentally, this is one reason I use Roboform to keep my log in
data...and Roboform to Go allows you to run it from a flash drive, and
the data is never put onto any computer you use.

Babette