[ggcsquicksig] UN-RECONCILING A QUICKEN ACCOUNT...

  • From: "Babette" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SIGLIST" <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 14:12:59 -0700

I had an oddity occur recently....somehow a transaction in my checking
account is marked "R" for reconciled, but had not cleared the account at the
time of my last statement, which somehow came out OK in the reconcilliation.

I got a look at the last reconciled report  and the check in question was
not there.( You can retrieve a previor reconcilliation report via the
REPORTS CENTER by putting in the closing date of the last statement you
reconciled.  HOWEVER, you can only print it - not view it like a saved
report...grumble, grumble!.  The only way I got around printing it out was
to use the PREVIEW command in the Print screen.)

At that point I went all through the Help files looking for what I thought
was an "Unreconcile" ability in Quicken, and the only thing I could find (on
line at Quicken Support Knowledge Base) was a description of manuually
un-reconciling transactions and then rereconciling the statement you wished
to re-do.

It's a painful process one at a time, since for each transaction Quicken
asks you whether or not you want to change.  However, Quicken's Email
support messages told me I could select a group of transactions and change
them all at once.

I found the Tech Support messages interesting enough to share with you...and
we can take a look at the process during the SIG on Tuesday next.

Babette
=============================
FROM QUICKEN:
Dear Babette Bloch, Thank you for contacting Quicken Customer Care. Babette,
I can understand your concern. However, we do not have any specific option
to change the last reconciliation opening balance or save a report. In
Quicken, we have two options to resolution a reconciliation issue.

1 - Easy Method - Pass an adjustment entry with the difference of
reconciliation figure. In this case, you first need to pass an adjustment
entry. After this, enter a reverse entry of the adjustment entry to balance
the register. Once, it works, the next time when you will reconcile your
account, you need not select the reverse entry and it will resolve this
issue completely. If we follow this in steps, it will be like -
    Step 1 - Enter an adjustment entry to reconcile the account.
    Step 2 - Enter a reverse of adjustment entry to balance the account
register.
    Step 3 - Now, next time when you will reconcile this account, deselect
the reverse entry to resolve this issue completely.
(THIS ABOVE HAS TO DO WITH ENTERING AN ADJUSTMENT WHEN YOU CAN'T RECONCILE
WITH YOUR STATEMENT.)

2 - Manually unreconcile last reconciled statement and reconcile it again.
Opening balance of current reconciliation statement is the ending balance of
last reconciled statement. Therefore, we first need to unreconcile last
reconciled statement to reconcile it again. The steps that you need to do
are -

    Step 1 - Select reconciled transactions and right-click on it to select
Reconcile -> Not Reconciled.
            This will unreconcile reconciled statement.
     Step 2 - Now, reconcile these transactions again.
To select multiple transactions at once, select first transaction and scroll
down. Press down and hold Shift key and then select the last transaction to
select multiple transactions.

I hope the information which I am sending will be helpful to you. If you
need any further assistance, please reply to us with the results you get
after performing the steps.

We will be glad to assist you further. Your satisfaction with Quicken
products and our services is very important to us. Respectfully, Sumit M.
Quicken Customer Care