[ggcsquicksig] Re: Backing up Q2004

  • From: "John King" <jmk94903@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ggcsquicksig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:40:22 -0800

> Re:  John's ideas of two media backup, I've had good luck so
> far with the USB Flash Drive (Belkin).
> thanks again Babette.
> larry

Just to clarify, although the more backups the better, when I said two
pieces of media are a minimum, I meant 2 CDs or 2 Zip disks or 2 sets of
floppies (and 3 is better).  Having the backup on two different types of
media is fine, but the important concept is to have multiple copies of
the backup on different pieces of media so that if a CD cracks or gets
scratched, you have another CD with the backup intact or a Zip disk with
the backup intact, etc.

USB Flash drives are fine, but do you use two or three of them?  Two or
three backups on the same flash drive is only one backup because if that
drive gets corrupted, you lose all your backups at the same time.
Frequent backups to a USB flash drive (because it's so quick and easy)
and less frequent backups to a couple of CDs would be fine.

John