[georgianbents] Re: Ride status - next Wasaga ride, and CHIN, and others

  • From: <HICKS.TJ@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <georgianbents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:59:07 -0400

Well, I was pretty busy over the weekend, so not sure if anyone went for a
Wasaga ride or not.  On Saturday, we went to the Newmarket Ecofest where I ran
into Ray from Blue Velo.  Nice guy, and enthusiastic bent supporter/advocate.
Lots of interest and questions on the Flevo that he had there.  Next year we'll
see if we can put up a more substantial bent exhibit, and it should be fairly
easy to do.

For the Wasaga ride, if no one went, or could make it on Saturday, maybe next
Saturday (the 16th) morning we could have a ride instead?  The speeds are
pretty casual, around 20kph, (if that) so anyone can keep up.  I might ride out
from my place too, so that would be somewhere in the 80 km range round trip,
plus the ride, and I'll be likely around the 30 - 35 kph range for the ride out
there.  So, if anyone is interested, send a message and the details are on the
events page.

A bunch of us have been on a few rides around the province this year, and they
were a blast.  The Ride for the Rouge, Spin the Lakes, and more recntly the
Ride for Heart.  There are some more rides coming up that I'm definitely going
to as well:

- The CHIN picnic is first up on June 30th, and the HPTA have some info here:
http://www.hptabrant.ca/chinrace.htm and Midweek hasn't got their info page up
yet for fees, but I emailed them and am waiting for the answer.
- the Rocky River Cycling Festival August 4,5,6 in Durham.
http://bikeface.com/RRCF/Rocky%20River%20Cycling%20Festival.html
I can set up a display of bents, answer questions and do the little workshop,
but I can only do it for one day, either Sat or Sunday, not both.  I'm in for a
ride, but as I don't know the routes or area, I wouldn't be too keen on leading
a bunch of people astray.
- the Ride for Karen (http://www.rideforkaren.com/) and the MS Rona ride
(http://www.mssociety.ca/ontario/bike_toronto.htm) are both Sept 9th.  Short to
long distances available between the both rides and another great opportunity
to enjoy some events and showcase bents.
- the Wheels for Wellness
(http://www.hrrh.on.ca/foundation/wheelswellness.html) at Downsview in Toronto
is another great little event with multiple distances.

There are also a number of rides listed with/by the TBN that would be scenic
and fun:
http://www.tbn.ca/cycling/century.htm

There's still also the option of a casual ride along the waterfront some time
this summer in Toronto.  Centralized location, established paths and no/few
vehicles to contend with.