[georgianbents] Into the new year - ice racing

  • From: <HICKS.TJ@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <georgianbents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:31:30 -0500

Hi all

The Brantford ice races are quickly approaching and now stand only 3 weekends
away.  Hopefully we can have a good, strong turn-out to support an active club
like Brantford.  They do more work than the national HPVA "mothership" down in
the States does with about 1% of the total membership too.  It's a great event,
lots of fun, and roaring around on the ice is more than enough fun, racing
aspect aside.

I contacted the Toronto gang and they think the courier ice races will be a go
again this year, even with warmer weather, because the outdoor rink has a
refrigerated ice surface.  I also printed up a simple text file that the rink
can print out and hang up in the clubhouse that gives more info on the
Brantford ice bike races.  Has the same been done for bike shops in the
Brantford/Hamilton/Toronto area already?  The Toronto date has not been set yet
but they said it should be around the 2nd or 3rd weekend in Feb, in keeping
with the whole Valentines Day Massacre theme.  So, as I get more detailed
information, I'll pass it on.  I don't have an extremely busy social schedule
on weekends, so I'll tentatively keep things a little flexible for Feb and the
first couple weeks of March so I can attend the courier races too.

For those of us who feel we are close enough to go to Brantford, and especially
Toronto, they're both great opportunities to get out and meet people, get a
little winter exercise, and provide bents with a little exposure.  Brantford is
great because it is inside an arena complex and spectators can easily see the
racing and the bents.  With a little pre-planning, local media can be notified
and get more exposure.  The Toronto venue is another prime opportunity for some
more exposure and this is primarily to a group of people who don't have a lot
of exposure to bents.  Last year's races were features on CityTV as well.
There are a number of bent and cycle clubs in and around Toronto, not to
mention the bike shops that might not mind posting a little flyer advertising
the Brantford event.  A little extra effort might garner more than its weight
in exposure and interest.  If there is/was an event in Ottawa too, either
indoors or out, I would make the trip out there to participate as well.

Anyway, as I get word from Toronto, I'll pass it on.