[geocentrism] Re: Reincarnation?

  • From: "Martin G. Selbrede" <mselbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 14:50:15 -0500

Neville,

It's intrinsically fruitless to argue across presuppositional systems: neither protagonist will arrive at any conclusion other than those already predetermined by their starting presuppositions. Your denigration of Paul, I see as the denigration of God's own words, delivered via plenary inspiration through His chosen amanuenses. My veneration of Paul's writings, you see as the false labeling of faulty human opinions as divinely inspired. There's no point in common between these two points of view. None. This antithesis shouldn't be papered over, it should have the most glaring light possible directed onto it.

The form of your argument concerning Paul is a fairly clear example of the logical fallacy known as argumentum non causa pro causa. Placed into formal syntax, your argument would look something like this:

        (A)  Paul's writing were divinely inspired
        (B)  Divinely inspired writings don't omit details of fact

        however,

        (C) There are examples of omitted details in Paul
(D) Therefore, his writings aren't inspired, and are not the Word of God.

Using this same fallacy, we could show every single Gospel is worthless. Only two mention the birth of Christ, St. John omits any reference to the destruction of Jerusalem or the sermon on the mount, the synoptics omit references to being born again, and more. They're all misleading, and pathologically so, by this standard. The cause of this illicit approach to evaluating Scripture is the following implicit requirement:

(E) All accounts should be coterminous in regard to content and details.

But that extremist view is absurd: it's placing God's Word in a box of human construction that is self-contradictory in the extreme. Men don't set the parameters for what's "permissible" in something proclaiming itself to be God's Word. God's Word sits in judgment on man, not the other way around. If Paul's purposive emphasis entailed omitting the women visiting the tomb, or the two disciples on the road to Emmaus, because they don't add to his argument concerning the resurrection of the body (funny that this is the actual topic of 1 Cor. 15, meaning it bears on our original discussion), so what? You move too fast to the argumentative kill in alleging that this emphasis of his undermines the canonicity of his writings. As Satan asked Eve, "Yea, hath God said?"

Moreover, God's own word makes clear, as Jesus quoted it to the Devil, that "Man must live by EVERY word that proceedeth from the mouth of God." In other words, Christianity, and the Bible, are defended as a SYSTEM, never piecemeal. Ever. The old aphorism puts it this way: A text out of context is a pretext. The context for any given text is the rest of the entirety of the Scriptures, whereby the principle of interpretation by the analogy of Scripture is grounded.

I must express surprise that after I cite Matt. 10:28 and Matt. 5:29-30, you quote them back to me. I'm surprised on a different level that you quote from Matt. 5:29-30 but apparently have little use for Matt. 5:17-20, spoken just a minute earlier by Christ -- a passage where Christ canonizes the entirety of the Law of Moses as having perpetual abiding force. Matt. 5:19 indicates that anyone loosening even the least commandment in the Law, and teaching men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven. Those who do and teach the least of the commandments shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. As Jesus said later to the Jews concerning the Pharisees, "They sit in Moses seat; therefore, whatsoever they bid you to do, do. But do not do as they do, for they say, but do not." Sitting in Moses seat = reading and teaching from the Pentateuch.

As has been well-said, theology is a seamless garment. You can't snip away at one point without everything falling apart.

In Luke 16:17 we read that it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one jot or tittle to pass from the Law. I'm pretty sure you've not met the required LOE (Level Of Effort), in light of this verse, to have debunked any portion of the Pentateuch. If you had been successful, then it follows that you're able to cause the heaven and earth to pass away, since that's the easier task.

Martin