[geocentrism] Re: Dinosaurs

  • From: "Steven Jones" <midclyth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:46:05 +0100

Dear Jack,

I agree with you, it deserves a laugh, but I must stress that the speed of which Tyrannosaurus could run is actually one of the most hotly debated topics concerning the monster. Few of the general public no about it, but the morphology of T-rex is extremely dubious, yes, it looks like a classic man made monster all-right, but what does the science say? Time and again, studies have shown problems with the body, even rising from sleeping is next to impossible. But in answer to your question, many conflicting studies have taken place concerning his speed and exactly how fast it might have run. Some have said speeds up to 70 km/h (45 mph) or even more, but nice work conducted by a paleontologist named James Farlow at Indiana-Purdue University in Fort Wayne, Indiana, again highlights (in my opinion) continued problems with the morphology of T-rex. "If T. rex had been moving fast and tripped, it would have died. If it tripped and fell while running, a tumbling tyrannosaur's torso would have slammed into the ground at a deceleration of 6 g (six times the acceleration due to gravity, or about 60 m/s²). The tiny 'arms' that the creature possessed could not have stopped the fall either, had it stumbled while running; standard estimates of Tyrannosaurus weight at 6 to 8 tons would produce a lethal impact force. (Hecht, J. (1998). The deadly dinos that took a dive. New Scientist 2130) The need for speed is of course necessitated if T-rex was a hunter, but some have come to the conclusion that because T-rex couldn’t run fast then it must have been a scavenger, but with all those big-cat style teeth this is unlikely, the jaw appears to be built for a kill.

Anyway, I could go on about T-rex’s locomotion forever, but Wikipedia has a good section on this. The speed quoted in the video of 17.9 MPH believe it or note is actually fast compared to previous studies. Take (a b Hutchinson, J. R. and Garcia, M. (2002). “Tyrannosaurus was not a fast runner”. Nature 415: 1018–1021), this is very new, and maybe the most accurate. It varies, but the speed is about 17 km/h (11 mph), so a slow walker really. There are plenty others, but I shall stop here. Wikipedia has all the references, even though I dislike the site for some things.

Well, I’m here now in this discussion, so I may as well stick around, because dinosaurs were at one time a huge part of my life, I believed every ounce of evolution thrown at me. I knew more names than I’ve had hot dinners. And now I think it was a total lie.

Steven.

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 10:01:12 +0100, Jack Lewis <jack.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Steve,
I'm amused by the statement that these running speeds 'are the most accurate they have to-date. I would ask, "Compared to what?"

Jack

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Jones" <midclyth@xxxxxxxxxxx>