[GeoStL] Re: quality FKA geocaching.com & virtuals

  • From: "dana cook" <zoejuju@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:01:30 -0500

-

These comments from Glenn and Dave are exactly the point I was making. Most of us, I'm sure, can tell the difference between a cache placed with some effort and common sense and one that was basically thrown out and waypointed. I had over 100 finds before I placed my first cache (La Roche de la Croix). By that time I had found enough caches to feel confident about hiding a cache in a decent spot (although some might not agree due to the fact that it isn't always accessible). By no means am I saying that one should wait until they have 100 finds before hiding a cache, but one should be able to tell the difference between "lame" and good cache placement.

The gauge by which a cache is judged is based on individual preference. I'm all for easy caches filled with "McToys" designed with kids in mind. Bridge w/ a T has a great kid cache with Speedway Lap 2. And since I've had the experience of pushing Barramus around in a wheelchair for awhile after his knee surgery I'm a HUGE supporter of caches designed with the disabled in mind! To me it isn't about the difficulty/terrain rating, it's about answering the question: "Does this cache serve a good purpose?" Whether the purpose is to bring someone to a cool area, provide a challenging find, or to give the little ones a nice, easy find--doesn't matter as long as the purpose is fairly clear and well thought out.

>From: Glenn

>From the FAQ page of the slaga website, written some time ago...
>http://www.geostl.com/SLAGAFAQ/index.html#wherehide
>

>Q: CACHE HIDING: Where should I hide a geocache?
>A: My thoughts, YMMV (your mileage may vary). I think good caches
>are the ones that are placed for good reasons. I like locations that
>are interesting for some reason (I really like the 'Freddies
>Hideaway' location, it's a cool spot to take kids). If a location
>could really get a person to thinking about things during a visit, I
>would consider that a good spot also. Another great reason to place
>a cache could be to lead a visitor to a great view or the caches
>could act as a guide to a challenging hike through a park or the
>woods. I would have never gone to Wildcat Mtn. had it not been for
>Butch's three caches there. I always like a good reason to bring
>cachers to an area. I find it somewhat irritating to spend a great
>deal of time looking for a cache that has no apparent purpose other
>than being a hidden box in the woods. It tends to leave me thinking,
>why am I here again? (GLNash)
>Back to Top
>

>At 09:41 PM 9/17/2003, Dave Keiser wrote:
>
>>-
Put a little effort and common sense in your cache and it will be just fine--

Fast, faster, fastest: Upgrade to Cable or DSL today! **************************************************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html **************************************************************************** To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field