[GeoStL] Re: Web question for my free garmin maps site

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 11:54:15 -0600

-
I looked at that and it is way over my head.  If this is something that is
difficult to do, I was thinking of instead of having a link to download the
maps, have a link to the map page on gpsfiledepot that has the date it was
updated and links to download the Windows and Mac installers.  But my
preference is to have a way to get the date from the other site.

I've got an Intel Core2 processor Q9400(2.66Ghz, 1333FSB) w/QuadCore Tech
and 6MB cache and 4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz on the way to replace my 5 year
old computer. Supposed to be here tomorrow. So I am going to look into if
with this processing power I can now do a topo/hydrology map for all of
MO/IL.  It may require purchasing some software to deal with such a large
area.  Others are doing it for other states, so I may try.  When I made
several of these larger topo maps, it would tie up my computer for several
hours and redraws could take 5 minutes each time you moved the map.  So I am
hoping this will be a huge improvement.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"