[GeoStL] WAS: While you were at the picnic , NOW: Partial Finds

  • From: "M. Bollinger" <lazylightning3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 19:26:01 -0700 (PDT)

-
Glenn,

  That sounds like our Seattle vacation.  I've never seen such cache density as
they have there.  You could spend all day caching from Seattle to Mt. Ranier
and never actually get there.  I passed dozens on the way to Sunrise, the kids
were getting mad at me.  I kept saying "Oh there's a cache over there, oh and
another over there"  Then I told them that they should be quite, I'm being nice
by just pointing and not stopping every .1 mile!!!

  I agree that just passing a cache and pointing it out should count.  I think
that it should count for at least 1/4 of a find for driving by and pointing at
it.  The reason for that is that you have to download the coordinates and put
them on the GPS, then you have to drive to near where they are and show you
know it by pointing about where it is.  Now I'm saying that this is just those
caches that are near the road, say .1 mile or less, not those that are way far
away from the road, those should count for less.  Those that are further away
should only count for 1/10 or so.  Do you think that you could convince the
guys at Groundspeak to allow that.  Instead of a smile you could have a little
pointing finger, kinda like what you get when your cursor gets near a
hyperlink.  Man, if that would work out I'd have almost as many finds as Bruce
S.!!!

Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  -
Thanks, we really enjoyed the trip. I think that is about or favorite
place to go.

Geocaching?? Oh sure. We drove past a zillion caches. (That should count
for something) We parked at the trail head for Abandon Solitude for a
minute but found just one cache in four days. "Marshall the Troops"
which was a lightpole micro in the parking lot of a shopping area that
we drove past everyday.

I had 600 of the nearest caches loaded and mapped, another 4000 caches
in GSAK "just in case" we needed more. I looked up the coords for 5
more old "Swinging Bridges" that are in the area and all we did was find
one lightpole micro. :-) I guess we just ran out of time.

We sure did hate missing the picnic but we enjoyed sitting around and
goofing off too.

Glenn