[STL Geocaching] Re: Upcoming trips, Wildcat Mtn and Misc stuff.

  • From: "Dave D" <cache_finder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:55:15 -0600

It all sounds great to me.
Canoe floating - the warmer the better - mid to late April for me.
Island-Dave

From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "St. Louis Geocachers MailList" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [STL Geocaching] Upcoming trips, Wildcat Mtn and Misc stuff.
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:43:35 -0600

With spring rapidly approaching some folks here in St. Louis have been
thinking of another group trip before we run out of cool weather. A number
of us have expressed a desire to head out for an assault on Wildcat mountain
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1509. This cache is one
of a trilogy of caches placed in the area by Butch. The other two are The
Devils Tollgate http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1510 and
Mina Sauk Falls http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=1508.
(Then there is the secret cache whose location is only known to a few)

Butch describes the area:
" This is a rugged off trail location that should only be attempted by
hikers experienced with map and compass. There are no trails in the area,
and steep climbs over broken rock is required. I recommend using the saddle
between Taum Sauk Mountain and Wildcat Mountain in approaching the area. The
saddle is located at N37.57324 W90.74273. The bluff is the home of the Devil
of the Tollgate according to Indian legend. It is said that the voice of the
Devil is carried in the wind and has been known to drive men insane if they
are foolish enough to camp on the mountain top. The Wildcat cache is on of a
triangle of three caches in the area. The others are, Mina Sauk Falls and
Devils Tollgate".

While it IS a tough hike it is not impossible. I went very prepared last
time while Denali just flew in on his superman cape :-) .

Combined with this hike, camping nearby is a good idea to get an EARLY start
on the trail. I know of a great private campground in the area. Free hot
showers, real bathrooms, washers, driers, free firewood and its right on
the Black River.

Also, depending on the weather in April, a nice relaxing float trip on the
Black River would be a great way to kill some time and visit with friends.
It is not the most challenging float in the state but it's a great way to
sit and drink beers!

There is a host of caches in the area for folks to look for on the way
to/from also. Search nearest to Wildcat and you'll find 1 that is almost in
the parking lot!!

We were thinking on possible before the end of April to do this. If we wait
too long it gets very HOT and the snake come out. We did this on May 26 last
year and only saw 1 snake sunning on a rock. There are two USGS markers
there, we can find them also. Reminds me, I should send in the several
marker findings to the site for credit.

Anybody have anything else they want to do sooner? What else is on ya'lls
agenda?

We did a few to day, yesterday and last night, in the dark, sans lights.
Needless to say we couldn't see it when we got there but I went out with RGS
and rectified that this morning easy enough. :-)

OK, I've said enough, Discuss amongst yourselves now!!

Glenn, St. Louis, Mo
OUR webpage  //www.freelists.org/webpage/geocaching

Our WebPage! //www.freelists.org/webpage/geocaching