[GeoStL] Re: USGS volunteer question (NGR)

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:56:31 -0800 (PST)

-
Jana,

I work for the USGS in Rolla and I believe the program is worthwhile ....though
I am not sure of it's future right now....the government in it's infinite
wisdom has decided to close our office along with the offices in Reston VA and
Menlo Park CA and move everything to Denver CO .....then after they have moved
our operation to this high cost city they will do a cost study to see if it can
be done cheaper by the private sector .....most of the contractors bidding
against us just "happen" to be stationed in Denver.
Don't you just love politicians.....I have heard so much talk about government
"downsizing" to reduce costs but what most people don't realize is that the
government that politicians talk about is the little peons like us and NOT the
big wig political types who not only keep their jobs but end up with a BIG
bonus for figuring out how to make the government "smaller".

Sorry for the tirade but I do feel a bit better :P

Dan (Thunder)
Ssudio@xxxxxxx wrote:
-
Hi all

Apologies if this was answered already-I missed the responses, if any.

Has anyone signed up to do the USGS volunteer mapping updates? I know there
are some on the groundspeak forums, but I was interested in hearing from
someone local.

I just got my packet a couple of weeks ago, and would just like to hear your
thoughts on the program, etc.

Email privately if you want-thanks!

Jana
choselass