[GeoStL] Re: Status of the Missour Dept. of Conservation geocaching policy

  • From: "Gale R. Nie" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:48:45 -0500

Paul,
Have you sent in a Special Use Permit Reconsideration Form?  It would go to the
Regional Coordination Team (RCT) at Busch Conservation Area.  That's what I had
to do after I had permits denied for 2 different areas. The RCT ended up
approving one of my permits and denied the other based on a totally different
reason than the area manager gave.  I used statements from the department's
website about their mission and goals to show that geocaching fits in with the
dept's mission.
With the permit applications, I mentioned as an added benefit of geocaching, it
would bring people to the areas who might not otherwise know about it. I did
not say a geocache was needed for people to find the areas. Well, the manager
of the one area stated his reason for the denial was that it's not necessary
for a geocache to be placed in order for others to find the area and use it.
The appeal was then denied by the RTC because the city of Union owns the area,
yadda, yadda.
Here's the reply I received for my Port Hudson cache, which was later approved:
"Port Hudson CA is 231 acres in size, 55 acres of which are lake. The
combination of small size, irregular boundaries and residences close to the
boundaries of the area will produce user-landowner conflicts for activities not
centered on facilities provided for use of the area (lake, boat ramp, picnic
pavilion). Authorization of geocaching will also compromise enforcement of the
10 p.m.-4 a.m. area closure."
As you can see, the manager was just pulling anything he could out of his butt
to deny the permit and the RCT then approved my permit.  You might have the
same results if you try.  If the RTC denies it, you can appeal to the Statewide
Public Use Committe and finally the Conservation Commission.

Here's a link to their site with info about their mission.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/about/

Gale