[GeoStL] Re: Rechargeable Batteries

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:37:08 -0500

I forgot to make a couple of points.

The batteries will hold less of a charge than the battery says.  The amount
of a charge can vary widely.  I've had Energizer 2500ma only hold 1500ma.
If you pair up a battery that holds 1500ma with one that holds 2300ma, as
soon as the 1500ma runs out, the device shuts down.  Your weakest battery
determines how long the pair will last.  The PowerX charger will test and
tell you how much of a charge the battery will hold.  Then you can pair up
batteries with similar capacities and know which are your best batteries.
When I test their capacity periodically, I stick a label on them with the
capacity to assist in matching them up.

The Maha will charge 8 batteries (including C and D) at a time, but does not
have all the features of the PowerX.  The PowerX is the way to go if you do
not need to charge C/D and only need four at a time.  I've had the Maha for
a long time and recently got the PowerX.  They are both great chargers.  If
you use lots of batteries, either is well worth the investment.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

  _____