[GeoSTL] Re: Poison Ivy

  • From: "Amy Purdy" <apurdy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:00:22 -0500

I had my first ever experience with poisen ivy at the end of last summer. I
went for 2 days not knowing what it was, except it was spreading like a
wildfire all over my legs and itching was unbearable. Come on a Monday, I
went to work needing some major relief. I work for my dad who happens to be
a doctor. I did get a steroid injection, along with a steroidal cream. I
can't remember how many bottles of Calamine lotion I went thru. I think the
worst was having the PI on the backs of my thighs and knees, especially
since I have a sedentary job. Plus, I couldn't wear pantyhose (actually, in
a way that was good). I did manage not to get it on my face. How I have no
idea since I did a lot of scratching before I knew what it was.
So far this year I've had it twice, both times within a week of each other.
I pretty much got it before it got me. All I can say, is I'm much more
sympathetic to our patients.
Here is a tip: Once exposed, you have a 2 to 4  hr. window of time to wash
the areas down with soap and water. Once you've done that, you want to go
over the areas with rubbing alcohol. Any oils that may still be on the skin
the alcohol will take care of.