[GeoStL] Re: PDA Geocaching.

  • From: "Bruce S" <bruces1321@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:27:47 -0600

-

I use Palm OS currently. GPXView does work well with Pocket PC... I also use gpsbabel for some conversion work.

From: BottomFeeder <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: PDA Geocaching.
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:19:11 -0600

-
Bruce,

Are you running on a Palm device or PocketPC?

I ask only because I've just started this GC stuff with a PPC, and have
found a couple useful utilities.

  * GPXView will read the .gpx files directly and display the cache page
fairly similar to what is displayed at gc.com. But I believe this app is
PPC specific...don't *think* it would run on Palm.

  * GPSBable will take the .gpx files and convert them to a bunch of
different file formats. It even converted them into a .mxf format so I
could import them all into Maptech's Pocket Navigator app.

I've tried using 'Cache Harvester' to well, 'harvest' cache pages from
gc.com, and though it seems to have a lot of potential, I've not yet
been able to successfully create a .gpx file that GPXView can read. Not
sure it it's a problem with CH, GPXView, or the most likely
candidate....the 'nut behind the wheel'.

-=Russ=- (aka 'BottomFeeder - the new kid in town)