[GeoStL] Re: OYR (Cracker Barrel Caches) in Jeopardy

  • From: Tom <lobocs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:41:05 -0700 (PDT)

I just sent an email to Cracker Barrel asking for an explanation to their new
policy. I requested that the email be forwarded to Mr. Nick Simulia, who was
the corporate contact for geocaching. (I had talked to him before Team S.A.G.E.
placed the cache at the Ferguson CB store.) I did not mention anything about
having to archive current CB caches. I just asked for an explanation of the
change in policy, and whether individual store managers could approve cache
placements at their stores. We'll see what the answer will be to these
questions, if I even get a response.
  Depending on their response (if it comes) will determine if I archive our
cache, if I will patronize their stores in the future, and if I join the letter
writing campaign expressing my view about their new policy.

  Tom (Lobocs)

Andrew Senger <asenger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I think the issue here is that CB is corporate-owned, not franchised.

For example, what one McDonald's allows may not be what another does.  That's
because each restaurant is individually owned and operated and the "name" is
purchased for the property, giving them access to certain products (food,
signage, etc.).

CB is owned by the corporate office and the managers run them how corporate
says to.  CB is one of thte few restaurant chains around that still operate
like this, which was a great thing for geocaching.  When the blanket policy was
made, managers really couldn't say no since their boss said yes.  However, now
the bosses are saying no, so the managers have their hands tied.  We could ask,
but they have to follow corporate policy.

At first, Groundspeak was asking cachers to not contact CB while they were
speaking to them.  Now that the decision is made, I think it's time we told
them what we think about it.

Glenn, I know the decision hasn't been made on archiving, but I don't see why
they'll allow them to stay.  If the lawyers have problems with new ones, I
can't see how they'll allow old ones to stay.

Andrew (yawetag)

  On 9/24/07, Sarah Chisholm <sarah_cf30@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:        Can one still
not obtain from individual local managers of these locations to place a cache?
Does corporate have to be involved at all? I have spoken to a few restaurant
owners and some have had no problem with the idea of a cache placed on their
restaurant property. Perhaps that is all that will be necessary to continue the
series - not depending on corporate blanket permission but dealing individually
with the local managers and owners.

My 2 ¢, Sarah