[GeoStL] Re: OYR (Cracker Barrel Caches) in Jeopardy

  • From: Tom <lobocs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:08:16 -0700 (PDT)

Glenn,

  I hope that all is resolved with Cracker Barrel and they allow, at the least,
the current caches to remain in place; at the best, to rescind their new policy
and return to allowing cache placements.

considered "commercial caches" and should never have been allowed, then any
cache which is placed in a Wal-Mart parking lot or on the side of a Mom-n-Pop
store, and a few other similar places, should not be allowed either. This means
that the only possible place to put caches is in the parks and along the
byways, in guardrails.  I have to disagree with you on this point, Glenn. My
opinion is that if you have the permission to place the cache, and you
accomplish it without disturbing the environment, then it should be allowed.
The game (geocaching) is played, and viewed, differently by everyone. Different
parts of the country (and world) have varying opinions on where caches are
permitted, and whether permissions are even needed. If Cracker Barrel, or
anyone else, makes a few bucks by allowing cache placement on their premises,
then it is fine with me, and obviously, to a lot of other cachers.

  Tom

Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  -
Our corporate contact is still working on things.

I cant imagine that they would allow them either but until they say to
"remove all current caches", i wont remove them. I guess it is all in
the loopholes. Saying that "we no longer have permission to hide caches"
is not the same as saying "all current caches must be removed".

I am sure they will catch on after a while. :-) By then I am hoping
the issues are resolved.

Personally, I never liked the caches. Permission or not they are in
violation of the "no commercial caches" part of the guidelines but most
reviewers looked the other way for some reason. Before permission was
granted cachers were trespassing on private property which is also
really not supposed to be allowed. Again, a lot of folks looked the
other way. Most of these caches can be found without the need of a GPS.
Just look at the map, then look under the washing machine or other
similar object on the porch. Since this is a GPS based game, most of
these caches are rather pointless and were allowed to placed to bring
some business to the CB. There ARE a few good ones around where you
better have a GPS but that is not the norm.

You will notice that there are only a couple of these cache in Mo. That
is not an accident.

Andrew Senger wrote:
> snips...
> Glenn, I know the decision hasn't been made on archiving, but I don't
> see why they'll allow them to stay. If the lawyers have problems with
> new ones, I can't see how they'll allow old ones to stay.
>
> Andrew (yawetag)

FareChase.