[GeoStL] No-Tresspassing RE: Re: Bomb scare closes 101

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 11:54:41 -0500

-
I have not had much luck with the IL reviewer.  After I found No Trespassing
signs by a cache near me, I posted a note on the cache page and sent a
message to the reviewer asking them to make sure it is dealt with
appropriately.  The owner ignored the situation until finally there were
enough complaints he finally shut it down (and many people just ignored the
no trespassing signs and got the cache).

Yesterday I went to Scott Field Travel Bug TLF GC19F7K.  I pull into the
parking area and between me and the cache was a sign partially obstructed by
a tree.  So I walked over to it and it said no trespassing and clearly
applied to where my GPS was pointing.  I don't want to get arrested or give
caching a bad name so I did not try for the cache.  I went to my car to get
my camera to take a picture of the sign.  A cacher from NV pulls up and I
pointed out the sign to him.  He still seemed to want to go get the cache,
but I talked him out of it.  When I get home I see a found log from February
that states,

"Well, right where I parked is a nice sign that says "POSTED NO TRESPASSING
PROPERTY OF ST. CLAIR COUNTY" So I hope this cache is placed with
permission."

Knowingly trespassing is criminal trespassing so is not that log admitting
to a crime to get a find?  The cache has 35 finds.  And why should that
cache still be active 2.5 months after the no trespassing sign was reported?
(If there is actually permission to place the cache there, the cache page
should say so and address the no trespassing sign.)  While the sign is hard
to see and I can see how it could be missed, don't we have responsibilities
to deal with something like that when it is reported in a log?  And should
not cache placers be more careful in placing a cache?

There was a cache placed on one of Madison County's Bike Trails (the person
in charge of the trails knows of the caching and approves of it).  I ran
into a no trespassing sign trying to find the cache.  I posted this on the
cache page.  The owner immediately disabled the cache and checked it out.
It turned out the cache was on the trail ROW.  The description was modified
to make sure people knew how close it was to the trail so they would not
trespass.

I have three caches in the Olin Nature Preserve which is on private
property.  One way to get into the preserve is marked no trespassing.  I
point that out in the description and let people know the only way they can
get in the preserve.

I think we need to be doing a lot better job as a community on dealing with
no trespassing signs.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Go Obama!