[GeoStL] Re: New caches along the 11 point river

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 20:31:30 -0500

-
Clear enough for me. Thanks. I will pop Nancy another note sometime and see if we are good to go for the 11 Point.

Thanks Jim,

glenn

Jim Bensman wrote:
-
Glenn,

Sounds like there is just a misunderstanding.  Let me know if this
explanation does not clear it up.

The Current River and Jacks Fork are part of the Ozark National Scenic
RiverWAY (EMPHASIS added) and are managed by the National Park Service.  NPS
will not allow caches but the issue was raised by many when they took
comments on their Management Plan.  I have also argued their actions violate
Federal law.

The Eleven Point is a National Scenic River managed by the Forest Service.
It is entirely in the Mark Twain National Forest where Nancy Feakes
(Recreation Officer) and Ronnie Raum (Forest Supervisor) as well as their
boss Regional Forester Randy Moore are all OK with caches on the Mark Twain.

A RiverWAY is a type of a National Park (the Buffalo in AR is another
National RiverWAY). A National Scenic River is a component of the National
Wild and Scenic River System.  It is a system established by the National
Wild and Scenic Rivers Act.  It is similar to Wilderness.  Wilderness Areas
are designated by Congress and can be on National Forests, National Parks,
National Wildlife Refuges, or BLM lands.  It is the same thing for Wild
Rivers, Scenic Rivers, and Recreational Rivers. So there should be no restrictions on the 11 Point. Just finished my pickles and relish - my 4th batch of the year.
Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"