[GeoStL] Re: NGR Need help with Win 7

  • From: Jon Mertz <jemertz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 01:43:01 -0600

TCP Window Size won't cause a file to stop completely unless for some reason
the receiver or sender requests a window of 0 and doesn't change it.

I've actually seen this issue at work with BT's Cisco equipment, in
conjunction with some legacy telco equipment. It had to do with transferring
a file which contained alternating 0 and 1 bits, which the telco equipment
interpreted as an attack, and therefore terminated the connection. The
problem for us was one particularly large (and necessary) installer file,
but other files transferred okay, including a zipped version of the same
file. BT's workaround is to enable "packet scrambling" on their equipment in
order to keep from sending the offending bitstring over those particular
circuits. Since that probably isn't an option in your Linksys, start by
rebooting it, as Tom suggested. You may have to replace the router in the
end, if rebooting doesn't resolve it.

Since removing it solves the issue, I find it highly unlikely that your
network provider will work with you to solve it on their end, even if the
problem is actually with their equipment as it was with the issue at work.
That one took a highly skilled (and dedicated) Network Engineer to track
down. He wound up isolating the cause by sending pings with the faulty
patterns as their contents, and isolating where along the network path they
failed. Alternating 1s and 0s are 0xAAAA or 0x5555, if you know how to use
Ping like that and care to try that.

-Jon