[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Important!!!

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:03:36 -0500

- I read through your entire post because I was wanting to make sure that I didn't miss the part they were addressing in the video, and maybe I missed it. So fill correct me if I am wrong....

The spot specifically noted that visual inspection could not determine whether there was going to be a failure. It is like the crankshaft on an airplane engine. You can look at it all day long from the outside, but you won't see flaws below the surface that would cause it to fail. Now the analogy breaks down in that most flaws in the crank will be something that was manufactured in or due to some "event". The problem with the tire story is that it happens with age. But the part that is the same is that you cannot tell from external inspection that there is an internal problem. From the pictures I say, it looked like there were tread separation issues like what happens on a re-treaded tire. The tread separates from the rest of the tire. That happens a lot on tractor trailer tires because they are so expensive to buy new that re-treads are pretty common.

Anyway, it seemed that the point of the story was that there should be an expiration date on the tires since there was no way to visually inspect the tire and determine that there was a problem. Is that the point, or does inspecting for dry rot etc. that you mentioned mean that there IS a way to detect the problem? I got the impression that they claim the answer is NO.

Now, I do know that ABC is not beyond sensationalizing. For example, they said that there is plenty of evidence on the road that shows the extent of the problem. They then showed a truck tire recap section, which is NOT the problem they are talking about. Most of what I see on the road, and I travel from here to the gulf coast MANY times a year, is recaps from trucks. So the evidence from my perspective is definitely NOT as evident as they say it is. But little things like facts don't usually get in the way of the medial

The other curious thing is that they said that the age of the tires in the main story was 4 when they were purchased, and 9 when the accident occurred. They were already 5 years old when the accident occurred. That is very close to the age of 6 claimed as the limit of when you start to get into trouble with aging tires. So even if they were only a year old, they MIGHT have still had problems. Now, I drive a lot of miles, and a set of tires would NOT last 5 years on my vehicle. Now, if the tread life on a tire is maybe 40 or 50 thousand miles, it would seem that this van either was driven less than 10,000 miles per year, or the tires were about worn out anyway. If they were NOT worn out, then it would seem that they may have been dry rotting anyway because they were used so little. Lots of questions that may make the story less sensational that it was presented.

This isn't to say that there isn't a problem. One of the problems is consumer education. It seems that the answer the media is always ready with is some governmental control. But it seems to me that in the case of this van, that may not have been enough. What if the tires WERE brand new when bought, but were left on the a pretty stagnant vehicle for 12 years, then failed the same way. They were just too old, but if inspected and passed on the surface, then the accident could still occur because the consumer would not know that they should not allow tires of that age to be used.

So I say lets educate the consumer. But please, not a twelve page "warning booklet" that will bury this little item between "not for internal use" and "you may drown if you fall out of this product when it is suspended from a rope over water".

I can see the next ABC exclusive report: Tire manufacturers knew for YEARS that the design of their tires encouraged breeding of West Nile carrying mosquitoes, but did nothing to prevent it from happening on discarded tires.

szcue@xxxxxxx wrote:
Being that I've worked in this industry for over 20 years I feel I must respond.

My company routinely inspects tires on customers vehicles for unsafe tread, sidewall, correct air pressure, etc. for FREE!  And NO this is not an advertisement, but it could be :).

When you take your care in for service, ask the dealership or repair shop to check your tires.  Most car owners take their cars in for oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.  At that time, your repair shop should be doing a courtesy check of your tires and other components under the hood. (Belts, hoses and fluids)

At 6,000 miles, or possibly at  EVERY oil change, you should be having your tires rotated.  At that time, the technician will be visually inspecting every tire for any unusual wear patterns or possible problems.
Remember the gas stations used to check your oil and your air pressure when you came in for gas.  Now that gas stations are self-service, it is up to YOU to check these items yourself or have them done at a repair shop.

It's no fun being out on the road and having car problems, like anything else you own, if something doesn't look quite right or sounds funny, go have it checked out by a professional if you have doubts. They should be checking tread depth, dry cracking, or dry rotting, nails, wheel damage, correct air pressure, etc.

Tires go through A LOT of wear and tear.  You have pot holes, rocks, nails, bad roads, and loss of air pressure due to temperature changes.  Properly maintaining the air pressure in your tires is also one of the ways you can save gas.

Another thing to think about.  What is between you and the road?  Think about it.  About 6" to 8" rubber patch on each tire and with cars weighing 3,500 pounds plus, that's not a whole lot is it?  Now, your rumbling down the highway doing 60 mph and tires are the last thing on your mind.    Maybe they shouldn't be.

You wouldn't believe some of the things my company has taken out of tires that have gone flat, when the customer said, "I didn't hit anything".  Well, okay, but here's the screw driver we pulled out of the tread, a nail, or a deer antler, or a very sharp piece of rock, a piece of key, etc.  We have a container on the counter of items taken out of tires when they have come in for service.  It's amazing.

And if your having trouble with the price of tires, think about oil prices.  The reason they are getting so expensive is because of the price of oil.  I think it takes 30+ barrels of oil just to make one tire, it just depends on the tire size.

Be safer out there by having your tires checked when you go in for routine service. Most places will check your tires for free and if they don't go somewhere else. If you go in for service where I work, tell them Susie sent you. ;)    If you want more information or if I need to clarify anything, please email me.

Drive on and cache on!     Susie