[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Ask The Experts

  • From: "Russ Wilner" <rjwilner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:42:35 -0600

-
I use a 1GB Microdrive in my 5mp digicam. Shooting in the highest quality
available (.RAW format), each pic winds up being *just* under 10mb. So, I
get 107 pics on the Microdrive.

I wound up buying a laptop just to do exactly what you're thinking. I wanted
to shoot in highest quality possible for 90% of the stuff I shoot, and knew
the MD just wouldn't cut it over a week's vacay, so would need something for
storage. It's a great way to go....*IF* you're willing to fork over the
denero.

I bought a normal 7 lb laptop, and that works ok. But it's not something I
would choose to carry in the field with me, so I still have to be able to
get back to a hotel or something at the end of each day. If you want to do
an overnite or 2 in the field and not fear a lack of storage space, then one
sub-notebook I'd highly recommend for this type duty is the Fujitsu P1120.
Just under 3 lb with an extended life battery (which means it gets *far*
more battery life than a standard notebook).

Of course, if you go that route, then you'll probably want a solar charger
or 2 to keep the batteries on all the devices charged. :)

     -= Russ =-