[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Ask The Experts

  • From: "merkin" <merkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:34:10 -0700

-

I went digital about 5 years ago, when the technology was rather new.  One of
the consultants at the company I was with at the time related a similar horror
story - he bought a digital camera for his honeymoon to Jamaica, but it wasn't
until he got there that he realized his memory card would only hold 8 pictures.
 Upgrading (at that time) to a larger memory card would have run $300 or more.

I got a Sony Mavica camera early in 1999.  It takes pictures directly to a
floppy disc.  Not the highest resolution (620 x 480 IIRC) but it's been a
fantastic camera.  First thing I got for it was an extra battery with a 5 hour
charge time.  I've taken with to places like the Huntington Library in CA and
shot 400-500 pictures in an afternoon.  The Sony, at the time, was about $700
and it was some of the best money I've ever spent.  Very outdated by modern
standards, but when I think about all the pictures of my daughter I would have
missed without it....

So there's one take.  You might consider one of the newer models that burns
pictures directly to a mini CD.  Make sure what you get has an OPTICAL zoom on
it, not just a digital zoom (meaning the camera itself can zoom in on items far
away, not just by cropping pixels off the image to give the illusion of zoom at
the sacrifice of resolution).  Memory is cheaper than it used to be - I've got
a 256mg SD card for my Palm Pilot that I got at Costco for about $70.  Two or
three of those in your camera bag, and you'd be set for a week of backpacking
through Moab.

Just a thought, one idiot to another.

Michael

From: Greg Ponder <thehairyhillbilly@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:00:01 -0800 (PST)

>First things first: I'm ignorant (in case you were not already convinced).
>
>With that out of the way...I am seriously considering purchasing a fairly high
>quality digital camera, probably in the 4-5 megapixel range. My concern is
>storage. I don't want to purchase a camera that "can" take hi-res pictures but
>then dummy it down to lo-res because my butt's on a butte in Utah and my
>memory card, stick or disc (or cards, sticks or discs) are full.
>
>I don't have a laptop, but I'm considering one. It would be my storage device
>so that I can take the quality of picture that I desire while on my adventures.
>
>Is that a feasible (albeit expensive) approach or are there better ways to
>shoot high quality digital photos without running into storage problems out in
>the field.
>
>Thank ye for your input,
>
>Greg Ponder...The Hairy Hillbilly

Subject field