[GeoStL] My Topos Beta and new version My Trails Landownership. POIs

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 18:13:50 -0600

-
http://webpages.charter.net/jbensman/Maps.htm

Windows and MAC installers

Several minor changes in IL/MO for My Trails, My POIs, and Landownership (KC
ACOE gave me their lake ownership)

Windows installer uploaded-Mac is uploading and it takes several hours so MAC
tommorow

My Topo BETA NOTE:

This is a beta for a beginning of a major change/improvement.  One of the
things that has bothered me with these maps from the start (and their one
drawback) is the water polygons cover stuff up.  For example, a major river
that crosses a bridge covers it.  A lake or river would also cover points or
lines (such as a boat dock or boat ramp).  I partially solved this by
painstakingly editing polygons and also making some of them transparent.
Transparency helps, but it also makes the river hard to see.  After I tried
Matt Bell’s CN Night mode map, it appeared he figured out how to get City
Navigator’s lines (roads) and POIs to draw on top of a polygon-what I had never
been able to figure out.  He told me the secret.  My first problem was while
making these setting changes made it work, it messed up when the topos lines
drew at different levels and caused major problems.  This is because to make
this work right, you have to match City Navigator’s draw levels.  I ended up
having to divide the maps into two parts.  The hydro layer contains all the
water polygons and are set with Matt’s discovery.  The rest of the map (contour
lines, stream lines, and island polygons) are in the other layer with their
original settings.  Both the hydro and other layer are still in the mapset.

For this beta, I have made the changes to 19 maps centered around the ST Louis
Area.  I will continue to change the other 100 plus maps (and then plan to
change CO Transparent Topo).  I am putting this out as a beta now in hopes
people will try it and see if there are any problems.  So far, I am more than
pleased with the results!  Please send me an email and let me know what you
think-I am particularly interested in the 60CSX.  Remember, streams, contour
lines, etc still draw on top of the roads.

When you select the map tiles to send to your GPS, you will notice some of the
maps show a Hydro and Other after the map name.  These are the maps that have
been changed.  The other maps still have the old problems.

This will now only work right with City Navigator.  The hydrology polygons are
in sync with CN so if you are using another street map, I do not know how it
will interact.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

from this