[GeoStL] Re: Mushrooms

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 05:29:21 -0500

-   Actually it is way past prime. It is about over. Really not a whole lot of teaching involved. Go out in the woods and start looking. I have found them in rocky areas right by a cache on the Katy, in Oak forests and in fields. They do prefer certain areas though.Look by fallen trees with the bark gone, ash trees and old apple orchards. I'm sure other people will have different ideas. A combination of heat and rain will bring them out. I would not worry about poisoning. Look at a picture of one and you can't go wrong if you just pick that kind that looks like a sponge. There are other varietys that I would stay away from until you get to know them. Only hunt then in the spring. There is a false morel in the fall that you want to stay away from. Look at this, now you are almost an expert shroomer.  Bernie.

Edwin Biesemeyer wrote:
OK Eric,  now you touched on something that is a bit of a sore spot with me.

Don't take me wrong.  I love mushrooms!

My dad used to go shrooming when I was a kid but would never take me with him.  When I got older he wouldn't go.  Now he is gone.  I had another man who was going to teach me how but he came down with a very aggressive cancer and passed away as well.

I don't want anyone to promise thay will teach me but I would love to learn how to hunt mushrooms.  I guess I should've asked around yesterday at the 101 event.  I do know that right now is prime time especially with all the rain we've had recently.  I also know that the wrong kind will kill or severly poison you so I gotta learn the proper types and ways of doing it.

-Digger Odell

-Edwin
on the web at:

http://mail.yahoo.com

**************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching Mail List FAQ's: //www.freelists.org/help/questions.html **************************************** To unsubscribe from this list: send an email to geocaching-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field