[GeoStL] Re: Map Confusion? Elephant Rocks SP??

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

-
Not unusual for maps to be wrong depending on the
source data used.....possibly the road changed at some
point in time and the source data for the mapping
software was not up to date. When I did a cache off
Highway 30 a year or so ago ...I was looking for a
major road leading to the area I needed and the road
was completely gone!.....I found where the road had
started but there was nothing there anymore even the
ditches had been graded over.
Mapping software is only as good as the latest source
data used

Dan

--- Joe Taylor <rockey_f_squirrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am I the only one that notices this?  And this is
> driving me crasy until i get a chacne to get out
> there with my New Mapsource installed on my GPS
> (actually it drove me crazy about a year ago.)
>
> Going to Elephant Rocks State Park, from
> Ironton/Pilot Knob, you turn left at the stop sign
> (or 'T'), and that is MO-21 right? and you go to the
> sign that says Elephant Rocks, and make a RIGHT
> Turn... I have been there many times, and can get
> there from Memory.....
>
> But why do the maps show it on the WEST (meaning if
> you follow the maps, it would be a left) side of the
> main road, when I make a right turn (to the east).
> Can anyone answer this mind bender for me???
>

> Joe Taylor
> IS IT FRIDAY YET?
>

> Check out my NEW Web Page
>
> Favorite GC - Stories and Adventures
>
> Rockey the Flying Squirrell
>
> What is Geocaching? - What is Geocaching (In case
> you are not in the Geocaching Mailing Groups)

> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com

Subject field