[GeoStL] MOGA 2-Person Team Question...

  • From: Michael Rogers <mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 14:49:49 -0800 (PST)

-
Hello...
I have a question and possibly a suggestion about the MOGA 2-Person team
competition...

I was chatting with a local cacher today about the competitions and we were
looking at the 2-Person section. We noticed that they had the under 40 and 40
and over age groups...with placement of a team dictated by the youngest person
in the group.

So here's the question...wouldn't it make more sense to place the teams based
on the age of the oldest person rather than the youngest?

My reasoning is such...say you have a team, father and son, competing...dad is
58 and son is 24, for example...both with physical abilities average for their
respective ages. Now, by the rules, the team would be placed in the "Under 40"
group because of the son's age. However, the team would possibly be at a
competitive disadvantage because dad is almost 60 and is not as quick as the
younger crowd...remember, the team must stay together at all times and not
split up.

Now...take this imaginary team and put it into the 40 and over age group. In
this scenario, the team has a better competitive chance because the father is
competing against people of similar abilities. The son, who can only go as fast
as dad, would not give unfair advantages to the team.

So...would it be possible to flip-flop the team placement guidelines to make it
a generally more even playing field...or am I completely out there?

Any and all suggestion or input is welcome. Thanks.