[GeoStL] Re: Logging multi caches

  • From: Michael Chambers <michaelc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 20:45:58 -0600

-
Hi Glenn;

I'm one of the new guys. I haven't read anyone else's response to this, and probably haven't earned the right to speak yet anyway, but I thought I'd jump in on this one.

It seems to me that if a person (or two, or a very few) follows a set of coordinates to a cache (or any other sort of final goal), they've earned the right to log it in, but it has to be the final goal. In the case of a multiple clue, multiple location type cache, the final location is the goal, and only finding that earns you the right to log it in. You can't log in all the interim clue sites. The number of people in a group can start to make things a little murky too. If you walk along, and talk pleasantly, but don't make any of the effort to find the cache, how can you claim it as a find? If I found myself in a situation like that, I'd rather lead or trail the others by 10 min. or so, just to have to earn the find myself. I would think those who found it first could have some pretty good sport with the ones who they could watch finding it later.

In the case of more than one cache being located at the end of one set of coordinates, you've only made one find. Taking credit for making multiple finds at a cache like you've described would be cheating. You haven't make multiple finds. I look on this in the same way I consider a group of people sitting somewhere, passing a Travel Bug around the room, just so they could all log in entries for the TB. It violates the spirit of the thing, and cheapens it to the point of being valueless.

How could someone feel good about skirting the ethics that have been established by others? Do they feel like they are superior - or even equal? I certainly wouldn't .

Thought I'd vent.  I'll be quite again now.
Mike Chambers -  AKA "Leanman"

Glenn wrote:

-
I gave this a little thought while i was out and i think it is worthy of more discussion. It is cut and dry with the one find per cache thing.

Multi's: i would think that you would have to find them all to log but there is one here that is odd. One set of coords that lead to a group of trees and the 5 caches are within 15 feet of each other in the trees. Ya just had to look around and pick them up. All the caches have logbooks and trinkets. Clearly it is designed for kids to find and is no challenge at all. It would be interesting to know just what the cache placer had in mind on this one.

i dont know, what does everybody think??

glenn
<ducking and heading for shelter>

At 02:08 PM 1/5/2003 -0600, "someone" wrote:

-
If your compiling "generally accepted guidelines" you might want to include
that if you go after a multi-cache, and you only find the first one or two
but not all of them you shouldn't log it as a find. My opinion, anyway.

Glenn
The SLAGA Mail
   & Membership guy